Mykonos Travel Tips, The best read now
Mykonos has been a popular island for centuries and all travel prognosis says it will continue to be so. This is my Mykonos Travel Tips for you.
- Introduction to Mykonos
- Mykonos Travel Tips
- How do you get to Mykonos – Mykonos travel tips
- How to get around Mykonos, Greece
- Best area to stay in Mykonos
- Best area to stay in Mykonos for partying
- Where to stay, the Mykonos travel tips
- The Beachlife
- Best Beach Clubs
- Some Greek eateries
- Fun things to do
- Gay Mykonos
- Finally, best time to travel to Mykonos
Introduction to Mykonos
Mykonos is a popular Greek island located in the Aegean Sea, known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and charming villages. It’s no wonder why this destination has become a favorite among travellers from all over the world. The island’s picturesque landscape and rich history have inspired artists and writers for centuries, while its modern amenities and lively atmosphere make it a sought-after location for those seeking both relaxation and excitement. Whether you’re looking to soak up the sun, party the night away, or simply explore the island’s unique culture and traditions, Mykonos has something for everyone. In this blog post, we’ll provide you with a comprehensive guide to help you make the most of your visit to this stunning island.
Mykonos Travel Tips
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or a first-time visitor, it’s always helpful to have some tips to make the most of your trip to Mykonos. Here are some suggestions to keep in mind:
First timers to Mykonos
For first-timers: Mykonos can be overwhelming, so it’s important to plan ahead and do some research before you arrive. Take note of the island’s top attractions and make a list of the things you’d like to see and do. It’s also a good idea to familiarize yourself with the local customs and traditions to ensure you have a smooth and enjoyable experience.
- Respect local customs: Mykonos is a traditional Greek island, so it’s important to respect the local customs and traditions. When visiting churches or religious sites, dress modestly and remove your shoes before entering. It’s also considered impolite to sunbathe topless or nude on the island’s public beaches.
- Be mindful of the party scene: Mykonos is known for its vibrant nightlife, with plenty of bars and clubs that stay open until the early hours of the morning. If you’re not a party-goer, it’s best to choose accommodation away from the busiest areas to avoid the noise and crowds. If you do plan to partake in the party scene, be aware of your alcohol intake and stay safe while enjoying the island’s festivities.
- Watch out for tourist traps: Mykonos can be an expensive destination, and some establishments may try to take advantage of tourists. Be wary of restaurants and shops that seem overly touristy, and always check the prices before ordering or buying anything.
- Stay hydrated: Mykonos can get hot and sunny, especially during the summer months. It’s important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and wearing sunscreen to protect your skin from the sun.
By following these additional tips, you’ll be able to navigate Mykonos like a pro and make the most of your trip to this beautiful Greek island.
How do you get to Mykonos – Mykonos travel tips
- By air: The easiest and most popular way to get to Mykonos is by flying into Mykonos International Airport (JMK), which receives direct flights from Athens and other major European cities. From the airport, you can take a taxi or bus to your accommodation.
- By ferry: Mykonos is also accessible by ferry from Athens and other nearby islands. There are several ferry companies that operate routes to Mykonos, including Blue Star Ferries and Hellenic Seaways. Depending on where you’re coming from, the ferry ride can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 5 hours.
How to get around Mykonos, Greece
- By foot: Mykonos Town, the island’s main hub, is pedestrian-friendly and easy to navigate on foot. The town’s narrow streets and alleys are lined with shops, restaurants, and bars, making it a pleasant place to wander and explore.
- By bus: Mykonos has a reliable bus system that connects the main towns and beaches on the island. Buses run frequently during the summer months and are an affordable way to get around. You can purchase tickets at the bus station in Mykonos Town or directly from the driver.
- By taxi: Taxis are readily available on the island and can be hailed from the street or booked in advance. However, they can be expensive, especially during peak season, and may not be the most convenient option for getting around.
- By car, scooter, or ATV: If you want more flexibility and independence in exploring the island, you can rent a car, scooter, or ATV from one of the many rental agencies on the island. Keep in mind that some of the roads on Mykonos can be narrow and winding, so it’s important to drive cautiously and follow local traffic rules.
By knowing how to get around the island, you’ll be able to plan your itinerary more effectively and make the most of your time on this beautiful Greek island.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Best area to stay in Mykonos
- Mykonos Town: This is the most popular and convenient area to stay in Mykonos. Located on the western side of the island, Mykonos Town (also known as Chora) is a charming, whitewashed village with narrow streets, picturesque windmills, and stunning views of the Aegean Sea. This area is home to many restaurants, bars, shops, and cultural attractions, making it an ideal base for exploring the island. However, accommodation in Mykonos Town can be quite expensive, especially during peak season.
- Ornos: If you’re looking for a quieter and more family-friendly area to stay in Mykonos, Ornos is a great option. Located on the southern side of the island, Ornos has a beautiful sandy beach with calm, clear waters, as well as a small harbor with several restaurants and cafes. Accommodation in Ornos tends to be more affordable than in Mykonos Town, and there are plenty of options for families and couples.
- Psarou: For a more luxurious and upscale experience, consider staying in Psarou. Located on the southern side of the island, Psarou is a chic and glamorous area with a beautiful beach, crystal-clear waters, and high-end beach clubs. This area is popular with celebrities and affluent travelers, and there are several luxury hotels and villas to choose from.
- Platis Gialos: Another great option for families and beach lovers, Platis Gialos is a lively and vibrant area with a long sandy beach, clear waters, and plenty of beach bars and restaurants. This area is located on the southern side of the island, just a short drive from Mykonos Town, and offers a good mix of budget and mid-range accommodation options.
Overall, the best area to stay in Mykonos depends on your travel style, budget, and preferences. Whether you’re looking for a lively and central location or a quiet and relaxing retreat.
Mykonos Travel tips continues with parties and hotels
Best area to stay in Mykonos for partying
Mykonos is famous for its vibrant party scene, and there are several areas on the island that are ideal for those looking to experience the nightlife. Here are some of the best areas to stay in Mykonos for partying:
- Mykonos Town: As the main hub of the island, Mykonos Town is the perfect place to stay if you want to experience the lively party scene. There are plenty of bars, clubs, and restaurants in the area, and you can easily hop from one place to another without having to worry about transportation. The area around Little Venice and the Old Port are particularly popular for their lively bars and clubs.
- Paradise Beach: Known for its famous beach parties, Paradise Beach is the ultimate destination for party-goers. The beach is home to several bars and clubs that host daily events and parties, and there are often international DJs and performers playing throughout the summer months. There are also several accommodation options in the area, including hotels and beachfront bungalows.
- Super Paradise Beach: Another popular party destination, Super Paradise Beach is home to several beach clubs and bars that offer a lively atmosphere and great music. The beach is located on the southern side of the island and is easily accessible by bus or taxi from Mykonos Town.
- Psarou: Although not as well-known for its nightlife as other areas on the island, Psarou is home to several high-end beach clubs and restaurants that attract a chic and trendy crowd. The area is perfect for those looking for a more sophisticated party scene, and there are several luxury hotels and villas in the area.
Overall, Mykonos offers a diverse range of party destinations, from lively beach parties to high-end clubs and bars.
Where to stay, the Mykonos travel tips
Mykonos as many other places to visit offers a range of different possibilities of luxury hotels, hotels, hostels and B&B’s. Here are some tips of hotels in Mykonos.
Best affordable hotels in Mykonos
Mykonos is known for its luxurious and high-end hotels, but there are also several affordable options for budget-conscious travelers. Here are some of the best affordable hotels in Mykonos:
- Mina Town: Located in Mykonos Town, Mina Town is a budget-friendly hotel that offers comfortable rooms and a great location. The hotel is within walking distance of the town’s main attractions, and the rooms are clean and well-maintained.
- Andromeda Residence: This family-run hotel is located in the picturesque village of Agios Ioannis and offers stunning views of the Aegean Sea. The hotel features a swimming pool and a restaurant, and the rooms are simple but comfortable.
- Sofia Village: Sofia Village is located in the charming village of Ornos, just a few minutes’ walk from the beach. The hotel offers clean and comfortable rooms at an affordable price, and there are several restaurants and shops in the area.
- Porto Mykonos: Porto Mykonos is a small hotel located in the heart of Mykonos Town. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped, and the hotel offers a rooftop terrace with stunning views of the town.
- Villa Vasilis: This family-run hotel is located in the quiet village of Platis Gialos, just a short walk from the beach. The hotel features a swimming pool and a restaurant, and the rooms are clean and comfortable.
Mykonos budget hotels
- Paradise Beach Camping: This beachfront camping site offers affordable tents and cabins, as well as a range of facilities including a restaurant, bar, and swimming pool. It’s located on Paradise Beach, one of the most popular beaches in Mykonos.
- Pension Matina: This family-run guesthouse is located in the charming village of Ano Mera, just a short drive from the beaches and the town. The rooms are simple but clean and comfortable, and there is a shared terrace with beautiful views of the village.
- Mykonos View Hotel: This hotel is located on a hillside overlooking Mykonos Town and the Aegean Sea. The rooms are basic but comfortable, and there is a swimming pool and a restaurant on site.
- Pension Alexandra: This family-run guesthouse is located in Mykonos Town, just a short walk from the main attractions. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable, and there is a shared terrace with beautiful views of the town.
- Argo Hotel: This hotel is located in the quiet village of Agios Stefanos, just a short walk from the beach. The rooms are basic but comfortable, and there is a swimming pool and a restaurant on site.
Best hotels in Mykonos for couples
- Bill & Coo Coast Suites: This adult-only hotel is located on a hill overlooking the Aegean Sea. The suites are spacious and elegant, each with its private pool or hot tub and breathtaking sea views.
- Mykonos Blanc Hotel: This hotel is located in the exclusive area of Ornos Bay, just a few minutes away from Mykonos Town. The rooms are modern and stylish, and there is a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the bay.
- Kivotos Mykonos: This boutique hotel is located on a private beach in the area of Ornos. The rooms are luxurious and spacious, and there is a beautiful infinity pool with stunning sea views.
- Cavo Tagoo Mykonos: This hotel is located just a short walk from Mykonos Town, and it’s known for its stylish and minimalist design. The rooms are spacious and elegant, and there is a beautiful pool overlooking the Aegean Sea.
- Grace Mykonos: This boutique hotel is located in the area of Agios Stefanos, just a few minutes away from Mykonos Town. The rooms are stylish and luxurious, and there is a beautiful infinity pool with breathtaking sea views.
Best luxury hotels in Mykonos
- Belvedere Hotel: This hotel is located in the heart of Mykonos Town and features beautiful white-washed buildings with elegant, contemporary interiors. There are several dining options on-site, including a fine dining restaurant, a sushi bar, and a poolside bar.
- Santa Marina Resort & Villas: This hotel is located on a private peninsula overlooking the Aegean Sea, just a few minutes away from Mykonos Town. The rooms and villas are spacious and luxurious, and the hotel features several pools, a private beach, and a variety of dining options.
- Amanzoe: This hotel is located on the nearby island of Spetses, just a short boat ride away from Mykonos. The hotel features a beautiful infinity pool, a private beach, and luxurious villas with breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea.
- Mykonos Blu Grecotel Exclusive Resort: This hotel is located on Psarou Beach, one of the most popular beaches in Mykonos. The rooms and suites are elegantly decorated and feature private balconies with sea views. The hotel also features a beautiful pool, a spa, and several dining options.
- Bill & Coo Suites and Lounge: This adult-only hotel is located on a hill overlooking the Aegean Sea, just a few minutes away from Mykonos Town. The suites are spacious and luxurious, and each one features a private pool or hot tub with breathtaking sea views. The hotel also features a fine dining restaurant, a poolside bar, and a spa.
Mykonos is known for its stunning beaches with crystal-clear waters and beautiful sandy shores. Some of the most popular beaches include Paradise Beach, Super Paradise Beach, and Ornos Beach. Each beach has its own unique atmosphere and attracts a different crowd.
Paradise Beach is known for its lively party scene and is a popular destination for young people looking to have fun and dance the night away. Super Paradise Beach is also known for its party scene, but it also offers a more relaxed atmosphere during the day, with beautiful views of the Aegean Sea. Ornos Beach is a family-friendly beach with calm waters and plenty of amenities, including beach umbrellas and sun loungers.
If you’re looking for a more secluded beach experience, head to Agios Sostis Beach, Fokos Beach, or Kapari Beach. These beaches are less crowded and offer a more peaceful atmosphere.
No matter which beach you choose to visit in Mykonos, you’re sure to enjoy the beautiful scenery and refreshing water. Don’t forget to pack sunscreen, a hat, and plenty of water to stay hydrated under the sun!
Best Beach Clubs
Mykonos is known for its vibrant beach club scene, with some of the best beach clubs in the world located on the island. Here are some of the best beach clubs to check out:
- Scorpios: This is one of the most popular beach clubs in Mykonos, known for its bohemian-chic vibe and stunning views of the Aegean Sea. The club hosts regular events and features an excellent restaurant.
- Nammos: Nammos is a luxury beach club located on Psarou Beach, offering excellent food, drinks, and entertainment. The club attracts a chic crowd and is a popular destination for celebrities.
- Alemagou: This beach club is located on Ftelia Beach and features a stylish restaurant, a bar, and a boutique. The club has a laid-back atmosphere and is known for its excellent music and friendly staff.
- SantAnna: SantAnna is a beach club and spa located on Paraga Beach, offering a large swimming pool, a restaurant, and a beach bar. The club hosts regular events and offers excellent amenities for guests.
- Kalua: Kalua is a beach club and restaurant located on Paraga Beach, offering a relaxed atmosphere and excellent food and drinks. The club is known for its great music and lively vibe.
Some Greek eateries
Greek cuisine is known for its delicious and fresh ingredients, and Mykonos is no exception. Here are some of the best places to eat on the island:
- Kiki’s Tavern: Located in Agios Sostis, Kiki’s is a local favorite that serves delicious grilled meats and fresh seafood. The restaurant is only open for lunch, so arrive early to avoid the long lines.
- Avra Restaurant: Avra is located in the heart of Mykonos town and offers a menu of traditional Greek dishes with a modern twist. The restaurant has a beautiful outdoor terrace with stunning views of the town and the sea.
- Interni: Interni is a stylish restaurant located in a beautiful courtyard in Mykonos town. The restaurant offers a menu of Mediterranean dishes and has an extensive wine list.
- Nikolas Taverna: Located in the charming village of Ano Mera, Nikolas Taverna serves delicious homemade Greek dishes made with local ingredients. The restaurant has a cozy and welcoming atmosphere and is a great place to try traditional Mykonian cuisine.
- Bill & Coo: Bill & Coo is a luxury restaurant located in a beautiful setting overlooking the sea. The restaurant offers a fine dining experience with a menu of innovative dishes made with fresh ingredients.
In addition to these restaurants, there are plenty of casual cafes and tavernas around the island where you can enjoy traditional Greek dishes like moussaka, grilled souvlaki, and fresh Greek salads. Don’t forget to try the local Mykonian cheese, kopanisti, which is made with goat’s milk and has a tangy flavor that pairs perfectly with a glass of Greek wine.
Fun things to do
For families, a great way to spend a day is to rent a boat and explore the crystal-clear waters surrounding the island. Take a dip in the refreshing sea, discover hidden coves and secluded beaches, and enjoy a picnic on the boat while soaking up the sun. Another family-friendly activity is to visit the Mykonos Vioma Organic Farm, where you can learn about organic farming and even participate in a wine tasting.
For couples, Mykonos offers a romantic atmosphere that’s perfect for a getaway. Take a stroll through the picturesque town of Chora, where you can admire the beautiful architecture and enjoy a romantic dinner at one of the many seafood restaurants. For a more adventurous experience, rent a scooter and explore the island’s hidden beaches and scenic vistas. You can also enjoy a sunset cocktail at one of the many beach bars while taking in the breathtaking views of the Aegean Sea.
No matter what your interests are, Mykonos is sure to provide a fun and memorable vacation for you and your loved ones. From beach hopping to cultural experiences, the island offers endless possibilities for adventure and relaxation.
Mykonos, things to do in a day
If you only have one day to spend in Mykonos, don’t worry – there are still plenty of things you can do to make the most of your time on the island!
Start your day by visiting the charming town of Chora, also known as Mykonos Town. Take a walk through the narrow streets and alleys, admiring the traditional whitewashed houses and the colorful doors and windows. Don’t miss the iconic windmills that overlook the town, and be sure to snap some photos to remember your visit.
After exploring the town, head to one of the island’s beautiful beaches. Paradise Beach and Super Paradise Beach are two popular options, known for their clear turquoise waters and lively beach parties. If you prefer a more peaceful atmosphere, head to the quieter Agios Sostis Beach or Fokos Beach.
For lunch, enjoy some delicious local cuisine at one of the island’s traditional tavernas. Try some fresh seafood dishes, such as grilled octopus or fried calamari, paired with a crisp glass of white wine.
In the afternoon, visit the island’s famous archaeological site of Delos, located just a short boat ride from Mykonos. Explore the ancient ruins of temples, houses, and theaters, and learn about the island’s rich history and mythology.
Finish your day by watching the sunset from one of the island’s many scenic viewpoints. Little Venice and the Panagia Paraportiani Church are two great options, offering stunning views of the sea and the town. And of course, no visit to Mykonos is complete without experiencing the island’s vibrant nightlife – head to one of the many bars and clubs for a night of dancing and partying!
Mykonos is famous for being one of the top LGBTQ+ friendly destinations in the world. The island has a vibrant and open gay scene, with many gay bars, clubs, and events. The LGBT community has been a part of Mykonos’ culture for many years, and you’ll find that it’s very welcoming to everyone who visits.
Some of the most popular gay bars in Mykonos include Jackie O’, Babylon, and Porta Bar. These bars offer a great atmosphere for socializing, drinking, and dancing. You’ll find that the music is always upbeat, and the drinks are flowing.
If you’re looking for something more relaxing, Mykonos also has a few gay beaches, including Elia and Super Paradise. These beaches offer a beautiful and inclusive environment, where you can relax, soak up the sun, and socialize with other gay travelers.
Mykonos is also famous for its annual gay festival, XLSIOR. This festival is held every August and attracts thousands of visitors from around the world. The festival includes parties, events, and concerts, and is a great opportunity to meet other gay travelers and make new friends.
Overall, Mykonos is an amazing destination for anyone looking for a fun and inclusive gay-friendly vacation. The island’s unique culture, beautiful beaches, and vibrant nightlife make it the perfect place to relax, unwind, and have a good time.
Gay Hotels and Gay Friendly Hotels
- Elysium Hotel: A gay-friendly hotel located near the town center with stunning views of the Aegean Sea.
- Geranium Gay Residence: An exclusively gay men’s hotel with modern amenities and a private pool.
- Semeli Hotel: A gay-friendly hotel located in the heart of Mykonos Town with stylish rooms and a trendy bar.
- Kouros Hotel & Suites: A luxury gay-friendly hotel with a private beach and a spa.
- Alkyon Hotel: A gay-friendly hotel located in the quiet area of Agios Ioannis with beautiful sea views and a relaxing atmosphere.
Finally, best time to travel to Mykonos
The high season in Mykonos is from June to September, with July and August being the busiest months. During this time, the island is filled with tourists, and prices for accommodations and activities are at their highest. However, the weather is warm and sunny, and the party scene is in full swing.
If you prefer a more relaxed and quieter atmosphere, you may want to consider visiting Mykonos in the shoulder season, which is from April to May and from September to October. During these months, the weather is still pleasant, and the island is less crowded. Additionally, prices for accommodations and activities may be more affordable than during the high season.
Overall, the best time to travel to Mykonos depends on your personal preferences and what you hope to get out of your trip.